January is a quieter time for many so is the perfect opportunity to get yourself organised and your business ready for the coming year. Here are a few things to consider for 2020.
Throughout the year, organisation falls by the wayside due to chaotic lives and busy work appointments, so now is the time to get everything prepared for the new year. Give your workspace a tidy, throw away any unnecessary paperwork and file the rest, finish up any jobs that are still hanging over you from last year, give your desktop and hard drives the once over. These jobs may seem insignificant but getting them done now will make the coming year a much more pleasant experience.
Refresh Your Social Media
Take some time to go through your social media accounts and give things a refresh.
- Do you still like your profile picture and cover image?
- Is all the information you are displaying still correct?
- Has anything happened over the past year that should be on your social media accounts? e.g. awards, commendations etc.
- Do all the links on your social media accounts work?
- Have you linked your social media accounts to your website?
When you are looking through your social media, consider if you are using the platform to its full potential. When was the last time you posted? How often have you posted? If you find that the majority of your posts are years old and sparse at the best of times then it might be best to close that platform down and focus your efforts on more profitable avenues.
Revamp Your Website
Throughout the busy year, your website can sometimes get forgotten and content can get a bit stagnant. Now is the perfect opportunity to reassess your website and revamp anything that feels a bit stale as well as update any out of date content.
- Do you like the look of your website? If not, use our example websites as inspiration.
- Is it easy to navigate your site?
- Do you still like the content?
- Is your content still accurate and relevant? This is particularly important when looking at contact pages, special offers or competitions and website footers.
- Have you updated your portfolios with images from last year?
If you feel that your website could do with a bit of help then make sure you check out the Web Build Service.
Create A Promotions Calendar
While last year is still fresh in your mind and before this year picks up, now is the perfect time to start planning a promotions calendar. Make a note of all the major retail holidays that you could market yourself for e.g. Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, the wedding season and Christmas.
Make a few notes of what you could offer at these times of the year so that when the time rolls around, you are all prepared.
Set Some Business Goals
With a new year comes resolutions and goals. Take some time to assess what you want to achieve by this time next year and anything that could be worked on.
Revisit Your Business Plan
Over the course of a year, a lot can happen and even more forgotten! We all start out with the best intentions but sometimes life just gets in the way. Spend some time thinking about your business plan from last year. What did you achieve? What needed more work? Once you know what went well and what needs a bit more thought you can start planning for this year.
Just remember, like, with any plan, it’s important to set realistic goals.