Hello all, we hope you had a great Christmas break and are raring to get back to business!
Now that the festive season is over it’s time to start focusing on the next big holiday…Valentine’s Day. We will be starting the first programme in our up and coming series that aims to boost your sales and help your business get the most from the year…
Our Valentine’s Day programme will be running throughout January and February to make sure you have everything ready for those offers to come flooding in. We will be providing easily downloadable offers and price plans, marketing and advertising tips and reminders, helpful Throwback Thursday articles and much more!
To kick off we’ve found ten Valentine’s Day facts that may surprise you…
1. According to legend Valentine’s Day originated in ancient Rome when a priest named Valentine was imprisoned for conducting illegal marriages. While in prison he healed his jailer’s daughter and fell madly in love with her. Just before his execution on the 14th February, he wrote her a farewell letter signed “from your Valentine”.
2. In Finland and Estonia Valentine’s Day translates into “Friend’s Day” and is more about remembering all your friends than significant others.
3. In South Korea women give chocolate to men on 14th February and men give non-chocolate candy to women on 14th March (White Day).
4. Based on retail statistics, about 3% of pet owners will give Valentine’s Day gifts to their pets.
5. Many believe the X symbol became synonymous with the kiss in medieval times. People who couldn’t write their names signed in front of a witness with an X. The X was then kissed to show their sincerity.
6. In the Middle ages, young men and women drew names from a bowl to see who would be their Valentine. They would wear this name pinned onto their sleeves for one week for everyone to see. This was the origin of the expression “to wear your heart on your sleeve”.
7. Women purchase approximately 85% of all Valentine’s Day gifts.
8. Every Valentine’s Day, the Italian city of Verona, where Shakespeare’s lovers Romeo and Juliet lived, receives about 1,000 letters addressed to Juliet.
9. Parents receive 1 out of every 5 valentines.
10. On average 220,000 wedding proposals take place on Valentine’s Day each year!