Brace yourselves everyone, because we’re about to talk about the all-important topic of social media…
In blissful times gone by, social media was just another page on a website, rarely used or updated, but no longer! In recent years it has grown exponentially, developing its own language, community spirit and humour. Therefore, we must learn to embrace it!
We realise that some of you are probably there saying “social media is a waste of time for my business because only young people use it”. Well, I hate to break it to you but social media is no longer the teenage domain. Over the past year the fastest growing demographic on Twitter was the 55 to 64 age bracket and according to this study, mothers with children under the age of five are the most active on social media. (Are you listening tchild and baby photographers?!)
It’s very easy to shy away from social media because it appears confusing and overwhelming. Your minds are probably spinning with…
Do I choose Facebook or Twitter? Google+ or LinkedIn? Is Youtube better than Instagram?
Well, to give you a little help or maybe just a shock we found some weird and wonderful facts about social media and just how powerful it really is…
1. 500 billion minutes are spent on Facebook EVERY MONTH!
2. Youtube reaches more U.S. adults aged between 18 and 34 than any cable network.
3. LinkedIn gets one new user every second.
4. 60% of Google+ users log in at least once a day.
5. 210,000 years of music has been played on Facebook! (That’s just insane).
6. Around 46% of web users will look towards social media when making a purchase….
7. And 80% of users prefer to connect with brands on Facebook.
8. (Get ready for a shocker…) If social media companies were countries (following China) Facebook would be the world’s most populous country with over 1.1 billion users, Google+ would be third with 693 million users and Twitter would be fourth with 554 million users. All overtaking India and the U.S!
9. 25% of smartphone owners aged between 18 and 44 say that they can’t recall that last time their smartphone wasn’t next to them.
And finally…*Drum roll please*
10. Social media has overtaken porn as the #1 activity on the web! (OMG).
On a serious note though, hopefully by showing the facts above we’ve proved just how powerful and influential social media can be and should be seriously considered by every business. So, either hop on the band waggon and find out what method is best for you or get cracking on keeping your current social media up to date. The opportunities that social media present are really quite limitless…
If you fancy getting fully absorbed in the social media spirit then take a look at some more useful articles here!
[question]So, which social media network would you recommend? Does anyone have any tips or tricks for getting started?[/question]